Wednesday 25 November 2009

Albino rat saves man from justice

Albino rat saves man from justice
By JOEL TAYLOR - Monday, November 16, 2009
Rat's my boy: Man's pet saved him from punishment (not actual rat)
A rat owner has won an unlikely respite from a court sentence - thanks to his albino pet.
Allan Page had pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis, fare-dodging and begging on a train.
But magistrates were forced to postpone judgment after hearing that Rizla, a six-month-old albino, had been the unwelcome guest at a probation meeting.
When officials discovered the pet was in Page's pocket they refused to continue the meeting - so could not prepare their reports on the defendant.
'I had cycled from Hitchin to Bedford that day and I didn't realise that I couldn't bring the animal with me,' said 37-year-old Page, of Arlesey, Bedfordshire.
'It did annoy me because I didn't think it would be a problem.
'They said it was for hygiene reasons but I said it was my animal and he goes everywhere with me, even to the doctors.'
His lawyer told Bedford magistrates' court: 'He now knows that he cannot take his pet rat into the office with him.'
The magistrates gave probation officials a final chance to prepare their report and rescheduled the appointment for Thursday.
They told Page: 'No pet rat this time, please.'

No comments:

Post a Comment